————–>> 2017 TED talk link <<————–
Contact info.AnneAMadden@gmail.com for information on speaker booking.
What people are saying…
“Thanks again for your wonderful seminar and teaching us about the mostly hidden world.” – TED workshop attendee 2018
“Loved your talk today here at TED. Brilliant work and storytelling.” – TED attendee 2017
** Upcoming Events **
- Keynote. NEMPET. Blue Mountain Lake, NY. (June, 2019)
** Past Events **
GENERAL PUBLIC / INDUSTRY / CORPORATE / FILM / PODCAST
- Speaker. TED Session @ Dupont / TechCon. Wilmington, DE (October 2018) Technology Conference.
- Speaker. Food Fest. Bell Museum. Minneapolis, MN (October 2018) Museum Event.
- Featured. The award winning Documentary: The Kingdom – How Fungi Made Our World. Produced by Smith & Nasht. Distributed by The Nature of Things (Canada), Curiosity Stream (US), Swedish TV, ZDF/ARTE (France and Germany) (Spring 2018) Documentary. Watch here on demand.
- Conference Speaker. The Year of the X. “The Future of the Food Microbiome.” Munich, Germany (April 2018) Technology Conference.
- Workshop Presenter. TED. “Meet Your Microbiome.” Vancouver, BC (April 2018).
- Speaker. TEDx Gateway (Asia’s largest TEDx). “What Future Technology is Hiding in our Microorganisms?” Mumbai, India (February, 2018) Technology Conference. Watch here.
- Interview. Gastropod Podcast. “Secrets of Sourdough.” Podcast (December 2017). Listen here.
- Interview. BBC World CrowdScience. “What’s hiding in my dust?” Radio show (December 2017). Listen here.
- Speaker. Taste Beyond Imagination. “New bread microorganisms from unexpected and expected locations (expanded).” Napa Valley, CA (October 2017) Industry Conference. Watch here.
- Speaker. The International Bread Symposium. “New bread microorganisms from unexpected and expected locations.” Charlotte, NC (May 2017) Industry Conference. Watch here.
- Speaker. TED. “Meet the microscopic life in your home… and on your face” (April 2017) Technology Conference. Watch here.
- Speaker. TEDx Charlotte. “Your new favorite flavor is going to come from yeasts in insects” (October 2016) Technology Conference. Watch here.
- Speaker. North Carolina Museum of Art. (October 2016) Museum Outreach.
- Speaker. The Secret World Inside You. North Carolina Museum of Science. (October 2016) Museum Outreach.
- Videocast Interview. “No more boring beers.” Tools of Science. (October 2016) Digital Interview. Watch here.
- Speaker. Concord-Carlisle High School (May 2016) Education Outreach.
- Presenter. Natural Selections: Wake County Science and Brewers Expo., at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Science (August 2016) Museum Outreach.
- Presenter. Natural Selections: Wake County Science and Brewers Expo., at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Science (August 2015) Museum Outreach.
- Presenter. Natural Selections: Wake County Science and Brewers Expo., at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Science (August 2014) Museum Outreach.
- Speaker. The World Beer Festival, Raleigh, NC (April 2014) Speaker. “New Discoveries in Old Places.” Summer College in Biotechnology and Life Sciences, at North Carolina State University (July 2014) Industry Conference.
- Speaker. “Small Things.” The Story Collider. The Oberon Theater, Cambridge, MA (August 2013) Education Outreach.
- Workshop Presenter. “Resumes and cover letters.” for Tufts University NSF-REU students, Tufts University (August 2013) Workshop.
- Speaker. Coastal Studies for Girls Science and Leadership High School (November 2011) Education Outreach.
See C.V. for complete list of past general public talks.
- Translating fundamental research into commercial applications: How a wasp helped the brewing industry make better beers. Invited Speaker. University of Nebraska Prather Lecture, Lincoln NE (March, 2018) Invited Talk.
- Wasp Yeast Beer: Microbial wrangling with insects for industrially relevant yeasts. Invited Speaker. Harvard University MSI Chalk Talk, Cambridge, MA (March, 2018). Invited Talk.
- Engaging the public in microbial discovery and technology invention. Farm to Table Working Group, North Carolina State University. Raleigh, NC (February, 2018) Invited Talk.
- Building our future microbial relationships in the age of the microbiome. Oxford University Making Microbes Public Conference, Oxford, UK. (May, 2017) Keynote Speaker.
- Continental-scale distributions of home arthropods. Oral presentation at the Sloan Microbiology of the Built Environment Workshop, Kuopio, Finland. (2015, August).
- Molecular mapping of arthropods of our homes across the USA. Oral presentation at the Sloan Microbiology of the Built Environment, Boulder, CO. (2015, July).
- The mycobiomes of sympatric native and invasive paper wasp species. Oral presentation at the Entomological Society of America, Eastern Branch Meeting, Lancaster, PA. (2013, March).
- The mycobiomes of sympatric native and invasive paper wasp species.Oral presentation at the Entomological Society of America, Eastern Branch Meeting, Lancaster, PA. (2013, March).
- A microbial jungle overhead: The bacteria and fungi associated with paper wasps. Invited talk at the Social Insect Reading Group of the School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. (2013, January). Invited Talk.
- The effect of chronic stress on the avian microbiome. Poster presentation at the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology, San Francisco, CA. (2013, January).
- Fungal patterns across space and species: Comparative studies of the mycobiomes of sympatric paper wasp species. Poster presentation at the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology, San Francisco, CA. (2013, January).
- The effect of chronic stress on the gut bacteria of wild-caught house sparrows. Poster presentation at the EcoHealth conference of the International Association for Ecology and Health, Kunming, China. (2012, October). (*Awarded honorable mention)
- The microbiology of a social insect invasion: Invasive paper wasps as microbial ecosystem engineers? Poster presentation at the International Society for the Study of Social Insects, North American Section, Greensboro, NC. (2012, October).
- Antimicrobial producing leaf-cutter ant symbionts isolated from paper wasp nests (Hymenoptera, Vespidae). Poster presentation at the Annual Boston Bacterial Meeting, Cambridge, MA. (2012, June).
- Paper wasp bacterial associates display antimicrobial activity. Oral and poster presentation a the Annual Biology New England South (BioNES) Meeting, Bristol, RI. (2011, December). (*Award for best graduate student oral presentation).
- Effects of heavy metal interaction, medium composition, and pH on lead and chromium resistance of bacteria isolated from heavy metal contaminated soil. American Society for Microbiology, Abstracts of the 107th Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada. (2007, May).
- Characterization of lead, chromium, and antibiotic resistance in 17 bacterial strains isolated from heavy metal contaminated soil: Effects of heavy metal interaction, media composition and pH. Poster session presented at the Annual Northeastern Microbiology Conference: Physiology, Ecology, taxonomy (NEMPET), Blue Mt. Lake, NY. (2006, June).
** Images on this page can only be used with explicit written permission**